Monstergirl Madness Day 11: Corrupted Adventurers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monstergirl Madness Day 11: Corrupted Adventurers

I hope you don't mind that I go without pictures this time. For one thing, there are nine options, for another, this is the category where pictures would be the most useless, so....

Assassin: Probably the most self-explanatory. A thief that runs into the dungeon gets captured and convinced to join the monsters' side. Now being a part of the dungeon itself, her desire for treasure is sated, and she can now use her stealth powers to hunt down and eliminate specific targets in oncoming adventurer parties.... Except Assassin's Creed jokes, maybe she's really into crazy conspiracy theories?

Black Knight: While this former knight has abandoned her ties to her former lord and agreed to serve as the champion of the Dungeon King, she has far from abandoned her honour. Fighting one-on-one duels with adventurers who have been lured away from the rest of their parties would her strong suit. I'd imagine a big part of her conversion would be proving that her current "lord" sees her only as a disposable meat shield.

Blood Mage: There are a few different interpretations of what constitutes "blood magic", but my personal idea borrows heavily from an old CCG called "Legend of the Five Rings". In the spin off tabletop RPG to L5R, blood mages have to draw blood in order to cast their dark magics, but it doesn't matter whose blood it is, so they're as likely to wade into combat with ritual knives as they are to spill their own blood to curse enemies from a distance. I see our Blood Mage as a former conjurer who summons blades a la Wall of Sword or Cloud of Daggers, and uses them to spill blood, to drain mana from the enemies' wounds, to fuel further attacks. Mechanically, I'd imagine she'd be too weak to go toe to toe with a healthy adventurer, but great for finishing off wounded parties on their last legs.

Dreamweaver: An illusionist who has abandoned the adventurer life to join the dungeon, the Dreamweaver fights dirty. Now that she's on the side of the monsters, she combines human*-affecting hallucinogens (that her monster allies are immune to) with her magical trickery, making her illusions more real in the eyes of her unfortunate victims. Combining these skills, she's capable of luring a victim into a peaceful surrender, or send them cascading now into surreal nightmare.
    *Or elf, dwarf, whatever

Mindthief: Formerly an enchanter, esper or mentalist, the Mindthief is not only capable of defending herself with ensorcelled animal companions, but turning enemy adventurers against one another, dealing damage but also quickly eroding party loyalty, making it easier for the Dungeon King to manipulate the interlopers to a quick end.

Reaver: I have a strong idea of how the plot would go for this one. Formerly a warrior or barbarian whose uncontrollable rage makes things difficult for her party, she is eventually abandoned by her people when they flee the dungeon. However, the Dungeon King is more than happy to see her supposed "weakness" as a strength, and just load her up with magical weapons and unleash her on enemy parties before using his dungeon magic to teleport her away to a safe place where she can finish her rage without hurting her allies.

Shadow Dancer: A more magical form of thief variant, the Shadow Dancer focuses instead on mobility, using her ability to teleport from shadow to shadow in order to ambush her enemies, hit them hard from surprise, before vanishing again. Probably would join the dungeon for similar reasons as the Assassin.

Skin-Walker: A corrupted druid, the Skin-Walker prefers to spend more time in animal form compared to her human form, and because of that feels distant from humanity even bef0re she abandons her adventurer life for the dungeon. I imagine her situation would be similar to the theoretical Reaver's, but rather than being a detriment to her party, she's just really strange (although sweet and kind natured) and very much a misfit. She just thinks her fellow adventurers' lives are just as valid as anyone else's.

Assassin
    36.36%
    Black Knight
    54.55%
    Blood Mage
    50.00%
    Dreamweaver
    40.91%
    Mindthief
    45.45%
    Reaver
    54.55%
    Shadow Dancer
    54.55%
    Skin-Walker
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

This time we have gameplay descriptions for all of them, which is pretty cool. No pictures, but given that they're all humans, it's probably not needed tbh.

Is it balanced? The shadow dancer seems much more powerful than the blood mage, since the latter have restrictions which the former doesn't have, for example. IMO we should have a variety of possible gameplay styles rather than a single dominant strategy.

It's hard not to notice that you're playing with tropes here, like the druid being a hippy or the assassin being a tinfoil hat truther. I assume it's intentional, but I still mention it. I prefer stuff that breaks tropes rather than play with them, but playing with them is fine too.

I voted for mindthief, because she's the one I want to play the most out of that selection, and reaver, because her backstory is cool.

Comment

Interest for this batch is entirely in the story(and gameplay potential I guess? But I have trouble connecting with the idea of specific gameplay before I've actually played it? If that makes any sense.)

So of these, the Reaver is the big standout. Especially because the Dungeon King can use that magic to just completely negate what her normal "weakness" would be. I really love those kinds of situations, where someone has been struggling with a drawback but suddenly finds a new place to belong where it isn't a problem. It's <3 for me.

Mindthief and Black Knight are the other archetypes I like the sound of. The storyline potential for Black Knight is another favorite of mine("Hey, uh, your boss only views you as a disposable tool. You deserve better than that." etc), and the idea of a Mindthief getting fucked over by adventurers and then with the Dungeon King's power turning the very people who used/abandoned/etc her on eachother...well, that's the good shit~

Comment

For me it's a tie between the Mindthief/psionc monster and the assassin with me leaning towards the Mindthief who can fuck the minds of the adventurers and have them kill each other thinking that their companion is the enemy then reveal to the surviving adventurer(s) that they had killed their own team mates/companions/lovers as well as being able to brake captured adventurers with their psionics and what not.

Comment

missed voting because work... most of the mage options sound awesome... but a konosuba/Darkness style dark knight would also be hot

Comment

Working...
          X